These files are distributed in the hope that they will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
If you wish to stay up to date with your ROOter firmware there is now a system in place that generates new firmware on a regular basis. This firmware is made using the same build system that is used to make the release versions of ROOter except that the build system has all the bug fixes and new features that have been added since the official release.
The official firmware release of ROOter contains all the bug fixes and new features that were available on the release date.
There are a number of different ROOter images provided and what features they contain depends on the router and on your desire. First of all, routers that have only 8meg of flash are limited in the features that they will have. They will have the same modem support that all routers share but have a smaller list of router features included. 8meg routers do not have any USB storage (Samba) support but do have OpenVpn and Wireguard.
With routers that have 16meg or more of flash you can choose to use a firmware that has Load Balancing installed. This is useful if you have multiple Internet sources but is not neded if you use a single modem. Firmware with or without Load Balancing are included.
All Firmware Images
- Extensive support for different makes and models of USB Cellular modems including 3G, LTE and 5G models using USB, PCie or M.2 interfaces.
- Automatic connection to your Provider when the modem is plugged in or when the router is booted up with the modem plugged in. No user intervention is required after the initial modem set up.
- Automatically try to reconnect if the modem fails to connect to the Provider or loses its connection.
- Monitoring of the connection with various steps to take if the connection fails.
- Detailed information about the connection including signal strength, SIM information and tower details.
- SMS (text) messaging on those modems and plans that support it.
- Ability to send AT Commands to the modem as well as change the Network Mode of the modem.
- Simple method of adding a Guest Wifi network to the router.
- Allows the use of 2 modems at the same time.
- (8meg routers only) Failover System to allow using multiple Internet sources with seamless switching between them in case of disconnection.
- Scheduled reboot of the router at a time of your chosing.
- Wifi Hotspot Manager to allow easy connection to Wifi hotspots.
- Four GUI themes for a different look for the router's web GUI.
- VPN support using OpenVPN or Wireguard.
- Status of OpenVPN Instances shown on the Overview page.
- Ability to create and execute router level scripts.
- Custom TTL Setting to change the ttl value for the modem.
- A per-device Bandwidth Monitor to allow viewing the bandwidth usage of all devices on your network.
- Dynamic DNS for assigning a URL to your router.
- Smart Queue Management for traffic shaping.
Routers with 16meg or more flash
- Print Server for USB printers.
- Automatic mounting and sharing of USB storage devices using Samba.
- Extensive system for Load Balancing different Internet sources (optional).
- Wake on Lan for devices on the Network.
- Built-in Speedtest.