These files are distributed in the hope that they will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
ROOter firmware comes in three categories designated (mostly) by the size of the Flash memory on the router. These catagories are 4meg, 8meg and 16meg.
A 4meg firmware image is designed to be used on routers that have either 4 meg of Flash memory or routers that have 8 meg of Flash memory but only 32 meg of RAM. These firmware images contain all of the modem features of ROOter but only a limited set of other, router related, features. The reason for this is 4 meg of Flash memory or 32 meg of RAM can only hold so much data and the full set of ROOter features require more than is available. These firmware images do not support IPv6 in order to fit as many other features into the limited space on the router.
Because of the increased size of OpenWrt in the newer revisions, 4meg images have to be made with the older OpenWrt 15.05 revision. Since this revision is several years old the modem drivers used are also older and do not have full support for a number of the newer modems. Be warned newer PCie and M.2 modems may not work at all or have limited support when used with routers flashed with ROOter.
Note : 4meg routers have reached their End of Life (EOL) and will no longer be upgraded with newer versions of ROOter.
An 8meg firmware image can not contain the full set of ROOter features so two separate images are included. With one image you have all the features except for Samba (USB storage support) and with the other you get all the features except for OpenVPN support. These images are designed for use on routers with at least 8 meg of Flash memory and at least 64 meg of RAM. These images have full support for IPv6, as well as IPv4. These images are based on OpenWrt 18.06.7.
A 16meg firmware image has the full set of ROOter features and is designed for use on routers with at least 16 meg of Flash memory and at least 64 meg of RAM. These images have full support for IPv6, as well as IPv4, and are for the preferred routers for ROOter. These images are based on OpenWrt 18.06.7.
The latest version of ROOter is GoldenOrb 2020-03-01 and has the following features.
All Firmware Images
- Extensive support for different makes and models of USB Cellular modems including CDMA, 3G and LTE models including those using PCie and M.2 interfaces.
- Automatic connection to your Provider when the modem is plugged in or when the router is booted up with the modem plugged in. No user intervention is required after the initial set up.
- Automatically try to reconnect if the modem fails to connect to the Provider or loses its connection.
- Monitoring of the connection with various steps to take if the connection fails.
- Detailed information about the connection including signal strength, SIM information and tower details.
- SMS (text) messaging on those modems and plans that support it.
- Ability to send AT Commands to the modem as well as change the Network Mode of the modem.
- Simple method of adding a Guest Wifi network to the router.
- Allows the use of 2 modems at the same time.
- Failover System to allow using multiple Internet sources with seamless switching between them in case of disconnection.
- Scheduled reboot of the router at a time of your chosing.
- Wifi Hotspot Manager to allow easy connection to Wifi hotspots.
- Two GUI themes for different look for the router's web GUI.
- Firmware update checking to see if you have the latest firmware.
8meg and 16meg Firmware Images
- Print Server for USB printers.
- Dynamic DNS for assigning a URL to your router.
- VPN support using OpenVPN and OpenSSL. (8meg images can not have this as well as Samba)
- Automatic mounting and sharing of USB storage devices using Samba. (8meg images can not have this as well as OpenVPN)
- Extensive system for Load Balancing different Internet sources.
- Support for IPv6.
- Ability to create and execute router level scripts.
- A per-device Bandwidth Monitor to allow viewing the bandwidth usage of all devices on your network.
- Wake on Lan for devices on the Network.
- Custom TTL Setting to change the ttl value for the modem.
- Built-in Speedtest using Netperf.
- Status of OpenVPN Instances shown on the Overview page.
- Smart Queue Management for traffic shaping.
for information about using checksums to ensure that the file you downloaded has not been tampered with.